Would you ever guess that the boring-looking cauliflower sitting in your fridge could transform into something so good that it just might fool your entire family?
When steamed and mashed, cauliflower can take on a flavor quite similar to mashed potatoes, fooling even the fussiest of eaters. I took the concept of mashed potatoes and baked mashed cauliflower into this amazingly delicious casserole. You can even make it vegetarian friendly by simply omitting the bacon.
Loaded with tons of flavor and other ingredients, such as green onions, cheddar cheese and chopped applewood bacon, this is so good you may never go back to using potatoes again. Serve warm with a dollop of tangy sour cream for a delicious side dish or main course.
Loaded twice-baked cauliflower casserole recipe
Hearty, filling cauliflower replaces the mashed potatoes in this easy dinner casserole idea.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 1 large head cauliflower, florets removed
- 1/2 cup veggie cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 8 slices cooked applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jarred roasted minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Minced red onions
- Extra bacon
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a medium-size casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a food processor, add the cauliflower florets, and process until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- To a large, microwave-safe bowl, add the cauliflower, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until very soft.
- Return the cooked cauliflower to the food processor, and pulse until very smooth.
- To a bowl, add the cauliflower and the remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Transfer to the baking dish, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
- Remove from the oven, and serve warm with sour cream and extra green onions, if desired.