Don’t mess with sauce or boring toppings for your next pizza. Instead, grill some great veggies to top your next pie — sauce not included. The fresh flavors of grilled corn and asparagus (with a hint of lemon) go well with goat cheese sprinkled over your pizza.
Sauce is usually the glue that holds a good pizza together, but it’s not needed for this pie. Really. Sometimes it’s nice to go sauce free, especially when fresh veggies and goat cheese are involved.
The goat cheese is smooth and creamy and the perfect option for pizza with grilled sweet corn and asparagus. Just a hint of lemon zest on top really makes this a special summer pizza.
Grilled asparagus and corn pizza with goat cheese and lemon zest recipe
This is a great pizza to serve during the summer. The fresh vegetables instead of the traditional toppings are a welcome addition.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20-25 minutes | Total time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose baking flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound prepackaged pie dough
- 1 small bunch asparagus spears, thick ends trimmed
- 1 ear corn, husk and silk removed
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat the oven according to the pizza dough directions. Spray a pizza pan (large enough to hold a 10-inch round pizza) with the nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Dust a clean work surface with the flour. Roll out the dough to a 10-inch round, and transfer to the pizza pan. Bake according to the package directions (typically about 20 minutes).
- While the pizza crust bakes, add the asparagus to a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and toss.
- Use some of the excess oil from the asparagus to brush over the ear of corn. Set aside.
- Brush a grill pan with the remaining olive oil. Place the pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the asparagus to the pan, and cook, turning once or twice, for about 5 minutes or until the asparagus gets grill marks. Remove. When cool to the touch, cut the asparagus into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
- Add the ear of corn to the grill pan, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, turning the ear of corn, or until the corn gets grill marks. Remove, and allow to cool to the touch. Cut the kernels from the corn.
- Add the asparagus pieces to the pizza crust, followed by the corn. Crumble the goat cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Bake for 1 to 2 minutes or until the vegetables warm and the cheese softens slightly.
- Remove, and add the lemon zest and ground black pizza. Serve warm.