Buffalo chicken-stuffed avocados satisfy your wing craving the low-carb way
Who doesn't love a big plate of Buffalo chicken wings?
I for one can happily make a whole meal out of them and I have apparently passed this trait on to my young son. No matter what restaurant we go to, he immediately scans the menu for Buffalo wings. And we always have to keep a bottle of Buffalo sauce at home, as he puts it on everything, from burgers to quesadillas.
That tangy, spicy sauce can be a great source of inspiration for other recipes too. Taking a page from my son's book, I've started pairing it with other ingredients, from shrimp to salad to ribs. In this case, I had some leftover rotisserie chicken, so using Buffalo hot sauce was a no-brainer. But I also wanted something a little different, so I piled it into ripe avocado halves and baked it. Avocados and Buffalo sauce are delicious together, and serving it in the avocado halves means perfect portion control. Now the only question is, do you serve it with ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing?
Buffalo chicken-stuffed avocados recipe
Nutritional Information: Food energy: 413kcal; Total fat: 30.96g; Calories from fat: 278; Cholesterol: 75mg; Carbohydrate: 8.88g; Total dietary fiber: 6.0g; Protein: 20.00g; Net carbs = 2.88 g.
- 2 ripe avocados, cut in half and pitted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Buffalo hot sauce such as Frank's
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (or cheddar, if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a spoon to scoop some of the flesh out of each avocado half so that the hole is larger, leaving about 1/2 an inch of flesh in the skin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter and the hot sauce. Add chicken, blue cheese, salt and pepper, and toss to coat well. Divide among prepared avocado halves.
- Bake 20 minutes or until avocados are soft to the touch and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with dressing drizzled over.
For more great low-carb and gluten-free recipes, please follow me at All Day I Dream About Food.