Slow Cooker Sunday: Vegetarian taco soup perfect for lazy weekends
This easy Mexican-inspired soup is meat-free and uses lentils as a filling source of plant-based protein. It saves you time and stress, since this hearty dish cooks up perfectly in the slow cooker.
Are you searching for ideas to make more plant-based meals? Well, if you said yes, then keep the meat in the freezer, because this recipe is completely plant-based. Not only is this slow cooker soup super easy to make, but it’s completely meatless and tastes great.
Cooked lentils are a wonderful substitute for meat in certain recipes, like meat loafs and, in this case, Mexican-inspired taco soup. This soup is hearty, filling and good for you. Lentils are considered a superfood and are rich in protein, fiber and nutrients.
This lentil soup is thick and rich, and the toppings add a nice, fresh flavor to the finished dish. It's also perfect for freezing if you want to make a large batch or have leftovers you can’t finish.
Slow cooker lentil taco soup recipe
This hearty Mexican-inspired vegetarian soup is cooked in the slow cooker and is full of diced tomatoes, lentils and fresh toppings. Tip: This soup is great for freezing. Divide into individual servings in freezer bags, and freeze until ready to enjoy.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the toppings
- Low-fat sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Crumbled Cotija cheese
- Heat a large pan over high heat.
- Add in the olive oil, onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, lentils, taco seasoning and the lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir well.
- Place the lid on the cooker, and set the timer to cook on low for 4 hours.
- Once the soup is done, serve in bowls, and top with sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, cilantro and Cotija cheese.
- Best served warm.