This is a hearty dish that can double as either part of a light meal or a side dish. The potatoes are soft with a bit of crunch thanks to panko breadcrumbs.
Don’t settle for unsatisfying spuds. This One-Pot Wonder recipe for cheesy spinach, onion and potato torte will leave you thrilled with this special potato dish.
Simply layer the ingredients, bake and enjoy. This couldn’t be easier to make, and really, the only difficulty involved is waiting for this dish of deliciousness to finish cooking.
Cheesy spinach, onion and potato torte recipe
This dish is easy to personalize: Swap out the spinach for Swiss chard or zucchini. Instead of cumin, add your favorite seasoning or a touch of fresh herbs, like rosemary. This dish is interesting yet easy to make.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, cut into thin rings
- 2-1/2 cups (packed) fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a medium-size baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and dried cumin, and mix well.
- To a large bowl, add the potatoes, and pour the olive oil over them. Toss to coat.
- Place a few potato slices at a time into the bowl of breadcrumbs. Coat both sides with the crumbs, and then place a layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add a layer of spinach, followed by the onion and then cheese.
- Repeat until the ingredients are gone, ending with a layer of potatoes on top. Sprinkle with a bit of the breadcrumb mixture and some extra cheese.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the top of the torte turns golden.
- Remove from the oven, and serve warm.