It doesn’t get more American than chicken, potatoes, barbecue and cheese, does it? We may not have as specific or refined cuisine as other countries, but when you’re craving comfort, American food does a body good.
This dinner combines all the classic American favorites in one skillet. It’s prepped in just minutes (thanks to store-bought diced potatoes) and then does its thing in the oven for an easy, cheesy meal everyone will love.
All-American cheesy barbecue chicken and potato skillet recipe
The ultimate American chicken dinner is served in a skillet with plenty of bacon, cheese and barbecue sauce.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 55 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 cups frozen diced potatoes (hash browns), divided
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- 1-1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 ounce cream cheese, at room temperature
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an oven-safe skillet with baking spray, and place it on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/2 the potatoes and the bacon to the skillet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chicken and barbecue sauce. Spread the chicken over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the green onions over the chicken, and then 1/2 the grated cheese.
- Top with the remaining potatoes and then the remaining cheese.
- Turn off the heat, cover the skillet with tinfoil, and place it in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the tinfoil, and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes, until bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, dollop the cream cheese in the center of the skillet, and top with the remaining green onions.