Slow Cooker Sunday: Honey-mustard baked beans have never been easier
Honey-mustard baked beans make a wonderful side for all your summer meals.
Come home to the delicious smell of baked beans that are cooked and ready to eat thanks to your personal chef, the slow cooker. Baked beans make the best side dish because they're one of those comfort foods that is always a crowd-pleaser. They also make a great main dish. Just eat them as is, or add some leftover meat to the beans for a super-quick and easy meal.
These slow-cooked baked beans are made with two types of mustard — good old yellow mustard and Dijon mustard — which taste wonderful when combined with the sweet flavor of the honey and brown sugar.
My favorite part about these baked beans — besides how delicious they are — is how easy it is to make them. Just add the ingredients to the slow cooker, put the lid on, set the cooking time, and I'm done. My friend the slow cooker takes over from there. How great is that?
Slow cooker honey-mustard baked beans recipe
Honey-mustard baked beans made in a slow cooker are tender and sweet. They make a delicious side or main dish that is a crowd-pleaser every time.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 8 hours | Cook time: 8 hours | Total time: 16 hours 10 minutes
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup cooked bacon pieces (for garnish)
- In a large pot, soak the beans in 2 inches of water overnight, and then drain.
- To a slow cooker, add the beans, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, honey, Dijon, yellow mustard, brown sugar and water. Stir together.
- Cover, and cook on the low setting for 8 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Just before serving, garnish with pieces of bacon.