This crunchy chicken is fabulous without any frying. No fuss, no muss, no mess. Perfect for a picnic or for a backyard get-together.
I have a few favorite things about this baked-not-fried gluten-free dish: It has great flavor (you’ll notice the coconut right away without it being overwhelming) and great texture, it’s easy to make, and it’s a dish everyone enjoys.
This is perfect for entertaining, because you can get the chicken prepped and cooked with plenty of time to make a fabulous side dish like mashed potatoes, salad or slaw.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Corn flake and coconut-crusted baked chicken
Serve this crunchy and slightly sweet chicken with your favorite sauce or dip on the side. This is a classic dish with a twist your family and friends will love, and you’ll feel good about serving it.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 2-1/2 cups crushed gluten-free corn flake cereal
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3 equal strips, then pounded thin
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with the cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed corn flake cereal, coconut, onion powder, garlic and paprika. Whisk to combine, and then transfer to a large, shallow dish.
- In a second large, shallow dish, combine the gluten-free flour, salt and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- To a third large, shallow dish, add the egg and vegetable oil. Beat well.
- One by one, place each chicken piece into the flour mixture so each is evenly coated. Next, dip each piece into the egg mixture, and allow the excess to drip back off into the dish.
- Finally, place the chicken pieces into the corn flake mixture. Use your hands to press the mixture onto both sides of the chicken to completely cover it.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and done.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of coconut flakes, and serve warm.