Super-easy yogurt pops with a patriotic berry surprise inside
Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. For the last 10 years or so, we've spent the day at the lake with friends (and an increasing number of their kids). We barbecue, then take the Jet Skis and boat out on the water until the sun sets. When it's time to dry off, we get into the boat and head out to the center of the lake to watch the fireworks.
The Jet Skiing is the highlight of the day for me, but the food is a close second. From the traditional burgers and hot dogs on the grill to the fruit salad and sweet treats afterward, there's something just so perfectly American and awesome about it all. By 5 p.m., the kids are either hard-core obnoxiously overtired from lack of their normal nap or wired up on sugar from too many store-bought cookies they've sneaked while Mom wasn't watching.
This year, I'll be bringing a bunch of these for the freezer to hopefully avoid the craziness that is a 4-year-old's sugar high. These patriotic pops are filled with blueberries and a strawberry slice surprise and are made from healthy Greek yogurt that's naturally sweetened with maple syrup. You could, of course, just buy vanilla yogurt to make things even easier. I just prefer the ingredient list a bit better, sweetening things on my own.
Patriotic berry yogurt pops recipe
Hand out these patriotic pops to celebrate. They're filled with blueberries, have a strawberry surprise on the inside and are made with healthy Greek yogurt.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1-2 large strawberries, stems removed, sliced
- 4 paper cups
- 4 wooden ice pop sticks
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla, and stir together.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of yogurt into the bottom of a cup. Drop a few blueberries on top, and then spoon another tablespoon of yogurt on top of the blueberries to cover them. Place 1 strawberry slice on top, stick the ice pop stick in the middle of the strawberry (there should be a small slit in the middle of the strawberry to make this easy), and then cover with another tablespoon of yogurt. Repeat with the remaining 3 cups.
- Place the cups in the freezer to set for at least 4 hours.
- Remove the paper cups from the outside of the pops, and serve.