Repurpose your crab shells into a beautiful, indulgent dinner.
Stuffed crab is great to serve for dinner parties because they look so elegant presented in the shells, but really, it is a simple sautéed dish of basic vegetables mixed with the crabmeat. Being abundant in the Philippines, this is one of the popular ways to cook the crabs. You mix in eggs to keep the mixture together, then cook it directly in the crab shells.
Every household has its own version with different condiments, but with mine, I like to keep the taste light without being overpowering so I can taste every ingredient I put in. This recipe is quite easy, with a delicious combination of flavors, but does take a little time.
Stuffed crabs recipe
There is some work in cooking and taking the crabmeat out of the crab shells, but these stuffed crabs are worth all the time and effort because they taste so good.
Prep time: 45 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 6 medium blue crabs
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1/2 cup potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 organic lemon, zest
- Over medium heat, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in the crabs, and cook for 20 minutes. Drain the crabs, and let them cool.
- Carefully pull the top cover of the crabs, and rinse under the tap. Set them aside.
- To get the crabmeat, divide the crab in half, and discard the long, fibrous parts on top. Divide the crab again, and get the meat from the compartments inside. Pull off the legs, crack them, and then get the meat. Set the crabmeat aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat with a little olive oil, sauté the garlic, then add the onion and ginger. Sauté for a minute. Add the potatoes and carrots. Toss for about 5 minutes, and then add the crabmeat and parsley. Season with the soy sauce, lemon, salt and pepper. Cook for another 3 minutes. Let it cool.
- To a medium bowl, transfer the sautéed crabmeat, then add the eggs and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Fill up the crab shells with the mixture.
- In a wide saucepan over medium heat with olive oil, place the stuffed crab shells with the shell side down. After about 3 to 5 minutes or when the crabmeat is cooked, quickly flip the crabs to cook the other sides. Cook for another 2 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.