Having a salad for lunch or dinner doesn’t mean you have to load it down with meat to get your protein in. Swap out the chicken or beef, and try adding cooked lentils to your salad for a healthy, plant-based source of protein instead.
Lentils look like tiny little beans and have a nutty taste. They are perfect for meatless dishes and recipes, since they are quite filling. You can use lentils in anything from veggie meatballs, soups, wraps or, in this case, salad.
I served cooked lentils on top of crisp, organic greens with crunchy pecans and tangy feta. Drizzle this yummy bowl of goodness with homemade navel orange dressing for a super-healthy meal.
Citrus lentil salad with pecans and feta recipe
Hearty and filling lentils are added to salad greens and topped with a sweet, homemade citrus orange dressing.
Total time: 15 minutes
For the dressing
- 1 large navel orange, juiced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw, organic honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad
- 6 cups organic salad greens
- 1 cup cooked lentils (or use organic canned lentils)
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced sweet onions
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green oinions
- To a jar with a lid, such as a Mason jar, add all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Close the jar, shake it for 30 seconds, and then set it aside.
- To a large bowl, add the salad greens, lentils, onions and tomatoes. Drizzle the dressing on top, and toss with tongs.
- Top the dressed salad with crumbled feta, Parmesan, toasted pecans and cherry tomatoes. Finish by garnishing the salad with thinly sliced onions.
- Divide among serving bowls, and serve immediately.