Chocolate-peanut butter puppy chow gets a red, white and blue makeover
Make your Fourth of July festive and fun by whipping up a batch of this red, white and blue puppy chow snack mix. This super-easy recipe uses Chex cereal that is coated in melted chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar.
Following a basic recipe for this classic snack, I also added some fun holiday-colored sprinkles to make this more of a patriotic-themed treat. This is great for making ahead of time and is packaged in single serving-size bags for a handy treat while waiting for the fireworks.
Red, white and blue puppy chow snack mix recipe
Serve this chocolate and peanut butter cereal snack mix for your Fourth of July celebration.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 8 cups plain rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter, warmed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- To a large bowl, add the cereal.
- To a microwave-safe bowl, add the white chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter.
- Heat on high for 1 minute, stirring every 20 seconds or until the mixture is completely melted and very smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, and pour the warm mixture on top of the cereal, stirring constantly until the cereal is coated evenly.
- Transfer the cereal to a ziplock bag (may take a few batches at a time) along with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Close the bag, and shake the cereal to coat it generously in the powdered sugar. Repeat with the remaining cereal and powdered sugar.
- Spread all the cereal out onto waxed paper, and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Toss the red, white and blue sprinkles with the cereal, and transfer to an airtight container, or divide into serving bags until ready to serve.