One-Pot Wonder: Quinoa-veggie skillet packed with summer flavor
Need a quick, easy and healthy idea for dinner? This one-pot wonder is not only gluten-free and vegetarian; it's super-easy and equally delicious. This meal comes together fast and is perfect as a vegetarian main course or even as a side dish.
Quinoa is cooked in vegetable broth, then tossed with fresh vegetables like sweet onion, bell pepper, summer zucchini and yellow squash. Using a variety of seasonings like garlic, onion powder and cumin gives it tons of flavor, and I also added in a big handful of fresh cilantro for a nice pop of color.
One-pot summer veggie-quinoa skillet recipe
Quinoa and fresh, assorted summer vegetables are cooked in one pot for an easy and healthy fuss-free dinner.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro
- To a large pot or deep skillet, add the quinoa and the vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, and cook uncovered until all the broth has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl, and set it aside.
- To the same pot, add the olive oil and all the vegetables. Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Return the quinoa to the pan with the vegetables, add the seasonings and cilantro, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and divide into serving bowls. Best served warm.