Homemade creamed corn is easier to make than you think, especially when you break out the slow cooker.
Using ears of fresh corn, cream cheese and heavy cream and by adding a few cans of some spicy diced green chilies, this is the perfect side dish for summer barbecues.
Adding the green chilies to this sweet corn recipe gives the perfect hint of heat without overpowering the recipe. But if you don’t like spicy flavors, then opt out of using the green chili peppers, and try adding in finely diced sweet red peppers instead.
Homemade slow cooker green chili creamed corn recipe
This homemade creamed corn is spicy with diced green chili pepper in a super-creamy sauce that is all prepared in the slow cooker.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- 8-10 large ears fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chili peppers
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons agave
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Fresh chopped parsley
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add the corn kernels, minced sweet onions, green chili peppers and seasonings.
- To the corn, add the butter, cream cheese, buttermilk, heavy cream and agave.
- Mix all the ingredients, and place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Set the timer to cook for 4 hours on low or for 2 hours on high, and mix the corn halfway through the cooking time.
- When ready to serve, transfer to a large serving bowl, and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Best served warm.