Slow Cooker Carne Asada Will Take Taco Tuesdays to a New Level
Picture this: You drag yourself out of bed early on a Tuesday morning and hop in your car for a long commute, obviously irritated by the fact that you still have four long workdays to get through before Friday night. However, when you return home that evening, you walk in and are met with the delightful smell of tender, juicy, spicy carne asada. This dream, my friends, can be reality when you pop this recipe in your slow cooker and flip the on button before you leave for the office.
I love to eat these tacos when I'm really hungry, because they're so meaty and filling.
And the freshness of the onion, cilantro, tomato and salsa tastes so good with each bite of meat. Feel free to switch up the corn tortillas with flour tortillas, if you prefer. Either way, it's all about the meat.
Slow cooker adobo carne asada soft tacos recipe
Tender and juicy slow-cooked adobo carne asada makes the perfect filling for soft tacos. This is an easy and filling no-fuss meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 8 hours | Total time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- 2 pounds skirt or flank steak
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (use only the adobo sauce)
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 large oranges, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (for the slow cooker)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro (for the soft tacos)
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups green or red salsa
- To a slow cooker, add the adobo sauce, garlic, orange juice, lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin and cilantro. Stir together.
- Using tongs, dredge each side of the meat in the adobo mixture. Lay the meat as flat as possible at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover, and let slow-cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Just before serving, lay the corn tortillas onto a large plate (make in batches of 4), spreading them out as much as possible. Carefully lay another plate that is the same size over the plate with the tortillas, and warm in the microwave for about 20 seconds to make them soft.
- Add the meat, and top with onion, cilantro, tomatoes, queso fresco cheese and salsa.
- Serve while warm.
Originally published June 2015. Updated May 2017.