Skillet apricot chicken with summer squash for an easy seasonal meal
Summer is full of so many delicious flavors, like sweet yellow squash, zucchini and fruits. In this recipe, I used the sweet flavor of apricot preserves to transform bland, boring chicken breast into something juicy and delicious.
This easy one-pot meal comes together in no time, and the glaze on this chicken really makes the meal. Serve this skillet chicken alongside summer squash and brown rice as I have done, or use whatever summer vegetables you have on hand.
One-pot apricot chicken with summer vegetables recipe
This easy, light and delicious one-pot chicken dinner comes together effortlessly and is flavored with the sweet flavor of apricot preserves.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
For the chicken
- 1/2 cup fruit-only apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame or canola oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the vegetables
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, halved and sliced
- Cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the apricot preserves, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 2 bowls — 1 for glazing and 1 to drizzle over the finished dish.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and add the oil and the chicken breast to the pan.
- Glaze the top of each piece of chicken with the apricot mixture, and cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Flip each piece of chicken over, glaze again, and then cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the pan, and set it aside.
- To the same pan, add the zucchini and squash, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Once the vegetables are cooked as desired, return the chicken to the pan.
- Drizzle with the remaining apricot sauce, and serve warm over rice, if desired.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.