Bacon-wrapped mac and cheese bites prove comfort food is always best
I was pretty sure life couldn't get much better than a huge pot of creamy macaroni and cheese. In fact, if asked what my last meal on Earth would be, that would probably be in my top five choices. I've had bacon in macaroni and cheese plenty of times, but the idea to make it bite-size and wrapped in bacon just puts that to shame.
The best part about these, in my opinion, is the fact that they're portion controlled. Of course, you could eat four of them and call it a meal (I won't judge), but they're the perfect side dish because of their cute, portion-controlled size or are super easy to throw into a packed lunch for a bit of an indulgence halfway through the workday.
Bacon-wrapped mac 'n' cheese cups recipe
In case you thought comfort food couldn't get better, these bacon-wrapped mac 'n' cheese cups prove you wrong.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes | Total time: 32 minutes
- 9 slices bacon
- 1/2 pound elbow or similar shaped pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups grated yellow cheddar cheese
- Panko breadcrumbs, for topping
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and grease 9 muffin tin cups with baking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain, and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the bacon for 1 to 2 minutes per side. You want the bacon half cooked so the majority of the grease cooks out but not so that it becomes crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, drain it on a paper towel, and then wrap each slice into a muffin cup.
- To the same pot the pasta was cooked in, add the butter, and let it melt.
- Add the flour to the melted butter, and whisk until cooked, about 1 minute.
- Add the milk to the pot, and continue to whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Once thickened, add the cheddar, and stir until melted. Add the pasta to the pot, and stir until combined.
- Spoon the pasta into the bacon-wrapped muffin cups.
- Top each cup with a sprinkle of panko breadcrumbs, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the breadcrumbs become golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before taking the cups out of the tin.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food<></3>> page on Facebook.