Rainbow chicken and rice bowls are a colorful, gluten-free meal
Grilled chicken goes perfectly with a colorful rice bowl piled high with veggies like purple cabbage, green snap peas and orange carrot. Top all these goodies with your own spicy ranch dressing for a flavorful and filling meal.
Have you cooked with black rice? I thought it would add an exotic flair to this colorful salad. It takes about 30 minutes to cook, so plan ahead, and prepare it before you want to put your salad together. Along with grilled chicken, layer your favorite, colorful veggies over the top. I included snap peas, shredded carrot and shredded cabbage.
One of the best parts of this salad is the homemade, spicy ranch dressing. It tastes so much better than the bottled version and is delicious without the hot sauce (but I like to include it). The dressing doesn't change color much with the addition of hot sauce, but don't let that fool you. It offers a little zing, which is a good reminder to add a little, taste, then add more if you like.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Gluten-free rainbow chicken and rice bowls with spicy ranch dressing recipe
This colorful salad is easy to put together, particularly since it includes precooked, grilled chicken. Drizzle it with homemade, spicy ranch dressing for a mouthwatering final touch.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
For the dressing
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
For the salad
- 3 cups cooked black rice (or white rice, if you prefer), at room temperature or refrigerated
- 3 (4 ounce) precooked (grilled) chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup snap peas
For the dressing
- To a bowl, add the milk and 1-1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add the mayonnaise and Greek yogurt, and whisk to combine until smooth. Add the salt, black pepper, dill, onion, remaining lemon juice and the hot sauce to the mixture. Whisk again to combine.
- Taste, and adjust the seasonings as needed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the salad
- Allow the rice to come to room temperature (or refrigerate it if you prefer), then add it to a serving bowl. In rows over the top, add the grilled chicken, shredded carrot, shredded cabbage and snap peas.
- Toss the ingredients before serving. Serve in individual bowls with the dressing on the side.