I’ve always been a pie person. Pie over cake any day (although there’s a local bakery’s cannoli filling that makes that particular cake a close call). Unless it’s lemon meringue or coconut cream (yuck to both), I’ll eat any pie you put in front of me, but if I had my choice of all the pies in the land, it’d be a cherry pie, hands down.
I’m not talking store-bought cherry filling loaded with corn syrup and who knows what else, though. Real fresh or frozen cherries, maybe a bit of sweetener, and that’s all. Since making a pie from scratch is not something I do too often (and it’s all about the filling anyway for me), I decided to bring the best part of cherry pie to the breakfast table.
These crispy Greek yogurt waffles (which are an excellent base waffle recipe on their own) get topped with the simplest of cherry pie fillings. I used tart cherries for a bit of a lip-puckering bite, but normal cherries will work too. Whatever you can find in the frozen fruit section.
Cherry pie Greek yogurt waffles recipe
Imagine the filling from a cherry pie dripping down a crispy waffle for breakfast. Not a bad way to start the day.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (full-fat 4 percent is best)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cherries
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat the waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, Greek yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk until smooth.
- Grease the waffle iron, pour in the batter, and cook according to your specific waffle maker.
- While the waffles cook, place the frozen cherries in a small saucepot, and bring to a high simmer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the water and cornstarch, and add it to the pot once the cherries have thawed and are bubbling. Stir until the mixture thickens, then remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Plate the waffles, and top with the cherry mixture.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.