Easy homemade energy bars full of good-for-you ingredients
Whip up a batch of your very own vegan snack bars right at home. Cashews, dates, toasted coconut and cinnamon are the base of these amazingly easy-to-make treats.
When shopping at my local health food store, I find the choices of energy bars almost overwhelming these days. There are so many flavors and diet-friendly options that it can literally feel like a chore just trying to figure out what bars are right for you.
One of my favorite types of bars are those that are vegan and also made of only a few simple, natural ingredients, usually consisting of dried dates, spices and most times one sort of nuts.
While I love these types of energy bars, I don't love the cost. I came up with a way to make my favorite flavored energy bar — which happens to be toasted coconut — right at home. With just a few simple, healthy ingredients, you can save so much money by making these yourself.
Homemade, vegan, toasted coconut energy bars recipe
Save time and money by using coconut, dates, cashews and spices to make your very own vegan energy bars right in your kitchen.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup dried, pitted medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons organic, raw coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet and a small loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add the shredded coconut to the baking sheet, and spread it out in an even layer.
- Toast the coconut for 12 to 15 minutes, mixing halfway through or until the coconut starts to lightly brown. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- To a food processor, add all the remaining ingredients along with the cooled toasted coconut.
- Pulse the mixture on high until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the small loaf pan, and press it down firmly.
- Chill for 1 hour, and then cut into desired shapes. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.