Sweet and smoky, the all-American comfort food gets an Asian twist. Creamy slow cooker mac and cheese is combined with sweet green peas and lots of curry flavor for this fun spin on a classic recipe.
Not sure if you want Thai food or something easy like pasta for dinner tonight? Two ethnic flavors become one in this super-easy and super-flavorful take on macaroni and cheese.
A basic creamy, white macaroni and cheese is made in the slow cooker, keeping dinner fuss free. Jazz up the traditional by adding tons of flavor and spice from massaman curry powder. Sweet with a little smokiness and slight heat, this curry is perfect for taking this mac and cheese up to an entirely new level.
Slow cooker massaman curry mac and cheese recipe
Jazz up traditional mac and cheese, and add an Asian flair by using curry powder in this easy slow cooker dinner recipe.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours 15 minutes | Total time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- 1 (16 ounce) box uncooked pasta (any small shaped pasta will work)
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons massaman curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen or canned sweet green peas (if frozen, then thaw first)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, and add it to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the milk, heavy cream, sour cream, curry powder, salt and pepper. Mix well, and pour the mixture on top of the pasta.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid, and set the timer to 4 hours.
- When the pasta is close to being done, add the mozzarella, Parmesan and sweet green peas. Mix well, cover, and cook for another 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Spoon the pasta into serving bowls, and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Best served warm.