Tangy barbeque chicken tacos are a must-try dish for Memorial Day weekend
Tacos are an almost-weekly dinnertime staple in our house.
My husband Ryan and I love experimenting with various taco recipes and will often veer away from traditional tacos in favor of something new like Thai-inspired tacos with peanut sauce or fresh fish tacos with mango salsa.
With summer right around the corner, Ryan will inevitably want to start throwing barbecue sauce on top of everything, so earlier this week, I decided to beat him to it and created a new-to-us taco recipe that included tangy barbecue chicken.
Hello, barbecue chicken tacos!
This recipe came together in no time at all and was a huge hit in our house. It's one I'd feel confident serving if a group of friends came over for dinner this summer because when you pair slightly sweet and tangy barbecue sauce with creamy ranch dressing, you cannot go wrong!
The ranch dressing I drizzled on top of the barbecue chicken tacos added a cool summertime flavor to the dish. I used a packet of Hidden Valley® Greek Yogurt Salad Dressing Mix which added a great punch of protein to the tacos without the fat and calories of typical mayonnaise-based ranch dressing.
BBQ chicken tacos
Makes two large servings
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium black beans
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 packet Hidden Valley® Greek Yogurt Salad Dressing Mix, prepared as directed
- Drizzle a medium-size sauce pan with olive oil, add chicken and bring to a medium-high heat. When chicken begins to cook, pour barbecue sauce into the pan and reduce heat to medium. Allow to simmer until chicken is cooked thoroughly (about 10 minutes).
- While chicken is cooking, combine black beans, corn and garlic salt. Stir together and set aside.
- Remove chicken from pan. You may pour remaining barbecue sauce over the chicken or discard, depending on preference.
- Evenly divide cabbage, chicken, black beans and corn between the four tortillas. Drizzle with ranch dressing and enjoy immediately!
Disclosure: This post is part of a collaboration between Hidden Valley and SheKnows