Food on a stick is always more fun — grilled ham and cheese skewers
Turn a classic ham and cheese into something the kids (and adults) will get excited about.
When we cook, our greatest challenge is how the kids will accept the food. I am sure that we all, as parents, have gone through trying moments when, after spending a lot of time and effort making something we hope they will like, they look at it and tell us, without even trying it, that they don't like it. It has happened to me a few times with my two kids, but one thing I've learned is that they are actually easy to impress if I make simple food they are familiar with, but served in a different way. Kids want us to be innovative and fun.
So I gave normal ham and cheese sandwiches a little bit of a fun twist by grilling and skewering them and then giving the kids the fun job of dipping the sandwiches into a cheese sauce. These snacks are done in 15 minutes, with ingredients you might already have in your kitchen. Yes, they are regular ham and cheese sandwiches, but in a fun way to enjoy.
Grilled mini ham and cheese sandwich sticks with cheesy dipping sauce recipe
This is a quick and easy recipe you can prepare in no time and that the kids will love. Just make regular ham and cheese sandwiches, grill them, skewer them, and add a rich cheese dipping sauce.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Place a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on a slice of bread, and place another slice of bread on top to make a sandwich.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, and then add the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk. Keep whisking until almost thick. Sprinkle in the pepper. Whisk in the cheese, and then turn off the heat. If you are ready to serve but the cheese sauce is too thick, just warm it up again, and add more milk.
- On a hot griddle over medium heat, cook both sides of the sandwiches until there are grill marks.
- With a sharp knife, cut off the crusts, and then cut the sandwich into 4 equal pieces. Insert 2 mini sandwiches onto a skewer. Do the same with the rest.
- Serve immediately with the cheese sauce.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food<></3>> page on Facebook.