Gluten-free quinoa-stuffed zucchini boats pack a flavorful punch
Need a delicious way to use up fresh zucchini? Look no further with this healthy meal that's not only meatless but also gluten-free.
Using fresh roasted zucchini, I filled these veggie boats with a super-flavorful quinoa mixture that was anything but boring or bland.
Quinoa is perfect for adding protein to vegetarian diets while also keeping dishes gluten free. I have learned that adding lots of flavors to quinoa makes it tastier, since it absorbs most liquids it is combined with. I cooked my quinoa in vegetable broth for a flavor punch, and also added lots of sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts and sweet currants (or you can easily substitute with raisins).
This is a wonderful side dish for grilled chicken or fish, but it doubles as a main course if you invite your vegetarian friends over for dinner.
Roasted zucchini boats stuffed with cheesy quinoa, pine nuts and currants recipe
This meat-free and gluten-free dish is not only healthy but a great way to enjoy lots of vegetables and keep things simple without sacrificing flavor.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
For the zucchini
- 6 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to season
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
For the quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice each zucchini in half, and use a small spoon to remove the seeds by scraping down the center of each zucchini half.
- Drizzle the zucchini with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese down the center of each zucchini half, and roast for 20 minutes or until the zucchini is slightly tender but not soft and mushy.
- Meanwhile, add the quinoa and vegetable broth to a pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- To a mixing bowl, add the cooked quinoa, and fluff it with a fork.
- Fold in the sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, currants, feta cheese and parsley. Drizzle the dressing on top, and mix the quinoa well.
- Spoon the quinoa filling into each zucchini boat. Serve warm alongside fresh green asparagus or other vegetables of choice.