Matcha is definitely trending right now, and for good reason. Its floral yet earthy flavor adds an amazing amount of depth to any recipe. Since I am a huge lover of all things breakfast, I wanted to find another way to add matcha to my mornings. These muffins pack a health-food punch with oatmeal, whole-wheat flour, hemp seeds and (of course) matcha. The only sweetener in these lovely little morning muffins is natural honey. My son, who is 18 months old, is completely obsessed with these muffins. The first time I made them for him, he instantly ate two in a row! You can imagine my excitement, since toddlers are the pickiest eaters of all.
Healthy matcha and hemp seed muffins
- PAM Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 1-1/4 cups old fashioned oats, plus extra for topping
- 1-1/4 cups milk (or dairy-free substitute), room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 cup hemp seeds for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the milk and oats together in a bowl and allow to stand for about 15 minutes.
- Spray a 1/2 cup measuring cup with PAM Olive Oil cooking spray and then fill it with honey; this will help so that the honey doesn’t stick to the measuring cup.
- Stir in the egg, honey and cooled butter (or coconut oil) into the milk and oats mixture.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, matcha powder and salt using a whisk.
- Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture using a spatula.
- Stir until just combined.
- Spray a muffin tin with PAM Olive Oil cooking spray so that it evenly coats each cup; this spray makes it so that you don’t have to use liners and the muffins will come out of the tins without a problem.
- Fill each cup of the 12-cup muffin tin.
- Sprinkle each muffin with some oats and hemp seeds over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.