These skinny turkey burrito wraps are made with collard green leaves instead of traditional tortillas for a super-healthy dinner idea.
Mexican food night is my favorite night. Most of the time I crave nachos loaded with cheese or a burrito smothered in cream sauce. While tasty, they’re not always the healthiest of options.
What if I told you that you could enjoy everything you love about burritos but made super healthy and guilt free? In these burritos, I used extra-lean ground turkey, and rather than tortillas, I used organic collard green leaves to wrap everything up.
Feel free to add any and all of your favorite toppings just as you would with a regular burrito. Try using plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream for a skinny ingredient swap, fresh avocado and lots of cilantro and diced tomatoes for flavor.
Healthy collard green-wrapped turkey burrito recipe
Swap out those flour tortillas with fresh collard green leaves to wrap these super-healthy, low-carb and gluten-free turkey burritos.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-6 large collard green leaves
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced onions
- Shredded cheese of choice (like cheddar)
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and the turkey. With a spoon, break up the turkey into pieces to help cook evenly, and cook uncovered for 6 to 7 minutes or until the turkey is no longer pink and juices are clear.
- Add the taco seasoning and the water. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the water has cooked away.
- Remove the turkey from the heat, and divide among the collard green leaves.
- Top with desired toppings, such as tomatoes, onions, cheeses, sour cream, fresh cilantro, etc.
- Tightly fold the sides of the collard green leaves inward, and roll the burrito.
- Cut in half, and enjoy immediately.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.