Slow cooker mango barbecue chicken, plus 2 tasty ways to use it
Lose the standard bun, and enjoy this easy slow cooker mango barbecue chicken in one of these fun ways to eat it.
Growing up in the South, I have most certainly enjoyed my fair share of delicious barbecue. My dad is a huge fan, and that loved rubbed off on me. While I don’t like the hassle of smoking meats or grilling, this easier version uses the slow cooker to cook chicken breast in a sweet and slightly zesty mango barbecue sauce.
While this chicken is awesome straight out of the slow cooker, I've also given you two easy alternatives to enjoy these great flavors.
Slow cooker mango barbecue pulled chicken recipe
This tender pulled chicken is cooked in a slow cooker and flavored with a mango-infused barbecue sauce.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 8 hours | Total time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- 6 chicken breasts
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh mango puree
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add the chicken.
- To a food processor, add all the remaining ingredients.
- Blend on high until the sauce is smooth. Taste the sauce, and adjust any flavors as desired.
- Pour the sauce on top of the chicken breast, and cover the slow cooker with the lid.
- Set the time to cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Once the chicken is done, transfer it from the slow cooker to a large cutting board. Using 2 forks, carefully shred the chicken, and return it to the slow cooker until ready to serve.
These hand pies are great for kids, picnics, entertaining or just as a fun portable food.
Puff pastry mango barbecue chicken hand pies recipe
Perfect for little hands or eating on the go, these puff pastry mango barbecue chicken-filled hand pies are perfect for any summer celebration.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 sheets puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups mango barbecue pulled chicken
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, and set them aside.
- On a floured surface, carefully roll out the thawed puff pastry dough.
- Cut each sheet of dough into 4 equal-size pieces, and transfer to the baking sheets.
- On one half of each piece of dough, place 1 to 2 tablespoons of shredded mango barbecue pulled chicken.
- Sprinkle a little bit of the shredded cheese on the top of each hand pie.
- Fold the dough over the chicken, and form a tight seal by pressing the open edges with a fork. Repeat with the remaining hand pies.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the puff pastry dough has risen and the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and serve warm.
The breakfast burritos really make mornings tasty and filling.
Easy mango barbecue chicken breakfast burritos recipe
Using leftover barbecue pulled chicken just made breakfast so much more delicious. Fluffy scrambled eggs are topped with pulled chicken and folded in soft flour tortillas.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 6 whole eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mango barbecue pulled chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (but any type works)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- To a bowl, add the eggs, salt and pepper, and beat the eggs until fluffy.
- Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray, and add the eggs. Cook the eggs for about 4 to 5 minutes while continuously stirring. Once the eggs are cooked, remove from the heat.
- Divide the cooked eggs among each tortilla.
- Top the eggs with 1/4 cup of pulled chicken and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
- Wrap each tortilla tightly around the fillings, and wrap each burrito in foil. Place the burritos in the oven on the rack or on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven, and enjoy warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food<></3>> page on Facebook.