If you’re a fan of sweet-and-spicy dishes, here is a perfect chicken dinner that combines both red and green jalapeños with fresh mango for a tropical-inspired meal.
For this dish, I cooked chicken breast in a skillet along with fresh jalapeños, sweet bell peppers, onions and fresh mango. I gave the sauce a hint of creamy texture by using Mexican crema.
Garnish this dish with cilantro leaves, and serve over fluffy, cooked rice for a tropical dish with just the right amount of heat.
Sweet-and-spicy fresh mango chicken tinga recipe
Sweet-and-spicy tropical flavors come together in this easy skillet dish with chicken, jalapeños, fresh mango and lots of spices.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado, canola or olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, minced
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1 green jalapeño, sliced thin
- 1 red jalapeño, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1/4 cup crema or heavy whipping cream
- Fresh cilantro, as garnish
- Cooked rice, for serving
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and the chicken. Cook the chicken pieces for about 5 minutes or until the juices run clear and the centers are no longer pink.
- To the skillet, add the onions, mango, jalapeños, bell peppers and spices. Cook for an additional 5 minutes (stirring frequently), until the vegetables have begun to soften.
- Add the chicken broth and the crema to the skillet, and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Allow the chicken to simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes. The sauce should be light and coat the chicken and vegetables but thicken.
- To serve, divide the rice among plates or bowls, and spoon the chicken on top of the warm rice.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, and serve warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.