Bananas and oatmeal aren't just for breakfast. They combine nicely to make a delicious loaf of oatmeal-banana bread that is perfect for dessert. Or breakfast, of course.
If you're like me, you're no stranger to super-ripe bananas. I love eating bananas, but sometimes they're ready to be eaten before I'm ready to eat them. Before you know it, you have soft, ripe bananas sitting on the counter. Put them to good use in this hearty quick bread.
In my opinion, oatmeal and bananas are a winning combination, particularly when they're served as a special treat. This oatmeal-banana bread comes together easily and has a wonderful flavor. The oatmeal adds a bit of extra texture to this lovely loaf. Don't save it for dessert only, though. You can snack on it throughout the day (think morning coffee or tea, or with a glass of milk at midday).
Turn a favorite breakfast combo — oatmeal and bananas — into a delicious dessert or afternoon snack. This recipe would make a lovely treat to take to a friend, too. Wrap it up in a pretty towel for a special delivery.
Yields 1 loaf
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 50 minutes | Rest time: 15 minutes | Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose baking flour
- 10 ounces prepared steel cut oatmeal (we used Pacific Foods)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8x4-inch loaf pan with the non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the beaten eggs and mashed banana. Mix to combine.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar to the egg mixture, and stir until combined. Fold in the prepared oatmeal.
- A little at a time, add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the loaf pan and bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until golden, and a knife inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes, then remove from the pan. Leave the loaf on the wire rack until completely cool, then slice and serve.
This post was brought to you by Pacific Foods. Try their organic Steel-Cut Oatmeal Flax & Chia Power to give a nourishing boost to your mornings.