Easy Mexican breakfast hash will spice up your mornings
Potatoes, chorizo, vegetables and runny eggs... I'm not really sure how breakfast can get better than that.
Hash is one of those meals that most of us don't make at home and reserve for breakfasts out at the diner, but the reality is it's so simple to make, and it keeps you full a lot longer than a bowl of cereal ever could.
This skillet is filled with spicy jalapeño, smoked paprika, peppers and spinach for a Mexican-inspired meal to start the day. Topping it with salsa and guacamole is optional but definitely recommended!
Mexican breakfast hash recipe
A skillet meal packed with Mexican flavor, this breakfast hash is a delicious and filling way to start the day.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 pound raw chorizo
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
- 1 large russet potato, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 eggs
- Salsa, for topping (optional)
- Guacamole, for topping (optional)
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the chorizo to the skillet, break it up with a spatula or wooden spoon, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the onion, red pepper and jalapeño, mix together with the chorizo, and cook until softened and the chorizo is cooked through. Transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, and add the grated potatoes. Spread into an even layer, and let cook until the bottom is crispy, about 7 minutes.
- Stir the potatoes, add the chorizo mixture back into the skillet, and add the seasoning and spinach. Stir to combine, and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Make 3 wells in the mixture with the back of a spoon, and crack an egg into each well. Cover, and cook until the whites are set.
- Remove the lid, top with salsa and avocado, and serve.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.