Garbanzo bean salad sandwiches are a perfectly filling meatless meal
If you need a super-easy, healthy and delicious lunch idea, here's one for you.
Being married to a vegetarian makes me get super creative when it comes to mealtime. Since my husband does not consume non-plant-based ingredients, I often use beans as a protein source for him.
Beans are a great way to cut out meat or just to switch things up when it comes to your sandwich. Mashed garbanzo beans are great for re-creating a tuna or chicken salad texture when making wraps or sandwiches. I kept things simple but full of flavor in my chickpea salad and served it over toast with fresh vegetable toppings.
Open-faced garbanzo bean salad sandwich recipe
This vegetarian recipe uses mashed chickpeas in place of meat and is served open faced over toast with fresh tomatoes, lettuce and onions.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
For the garbanzo bean salad
- 1-1/4 cups canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 small sweet onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise or other plant-based mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the sandwich
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- Fresh tomato slices
- Fresh romaine lettuce leaves
- Thinly sliced red onions
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Crushed red pepper, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl and using a potato masher or a fork, mash the garbanzo beans to desired consistency.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the garbanzo salad, and mix well. Cover, and chill for 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place the 4 slices of bread into a toaster, and toast until golden brown.
- Place tomato slices, romaine leaves and red onions on each slice of toast.
- Divide the garbanzo salad among the slices of toast, and sprinkle the tops with fresh chopped parsley and crushed red pepper.
- Slice the sammies in half, and serve immediately.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.