Hawaiian Island taste in a mini pocket is calling your name.
These cute mini pitas are filled to the brim with pineapple, ham and melted cheese. They taste just like a pizza, only better because it’s all stuffed into a little pocket. And then there’s the cheese. Lots of gooey cheese.
I just can’t help myself from eating some of the melted cheese right out of the top of the pita. No worries, though. There’s still plenty of cheese and pizza goodness left inside the pita.
Hawaiian pizza pita pockets recipe
These pineapple-and-ham pizza pita pockets are topped with lots of gooey cheese. Hawaiian-style pita pockets are perfect for lunch or a light dinner, and they take less than 30 minutes to make.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 6 mini pita pockets, sliced in half
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups sliced ham, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To a medium-size bowl, add the tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and pepper. Mix together.
- Carefully open each pita pocket, and set them upright in a small- to medium-size ovenproof dish.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons of sauce into each pita pocket, and spread it around the inside. Be careful to not add any more than this, or the pita pocket will get soggy.
- Add 1/2 the cheese to the bottom of each pita.
- Add the ham and pineapple to each pita.
- Drizzle some pizza sauce on top (there may be some of the pizza sauce left over).
- Top with cheese, and bake until the cheese melts (about 8 minutes). Watch the pitas to make sure they don’t get too brown.
- Top with fresh basil or Italian parsley, and serve while hot.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.