Healthy fish taco lettuce wraps for a guilt-free Cinco de Mayo
Mexican cuisine is some of the most popular in the nation, and it's not hard to see why. It's comforting, it's filling and it's got great flavor without huge expense. And with Cinco de Mayo just around the corner, everyone will be hitting the local cantina for their favorite Mexican dish.
But most Mexican food served in the U.S. is not exactly diet-friendly. The tortillas, the beans and the rice pack on the carbs and the calories. And that's all before the churros and fried ice cream! Which is a shame, really, because true Mexican cuisine is all about fresh flavors and great spices, with plenty of vegetables in the mix. Thankfully, recreating these great flavors at home with fresh, whole ingredients is not only easy, it's deliciously healthy too.
So skip the tortillas and grab some big lettuce leaves. Toss your favorite white fish with some blackening spices and give them a quick pan fry. Then top your lettuce wraps with fresh tomatoes, avocado and some creamy cilantro dressing. At 356 calories and 4 grams net carbs, you can afford to splurge on dessert. Or maybe a really good margarita!
Low-carb, low-calorie fish taco lettuce wraps recipe
Nutritional information: Food energy: 356kcal; Total fat: 24.93g; Calories from fat: 224; Cholesterol: 64mg; Carbohydrate: 9.09g; Total dietary fiber: 5.50g; Protein: 22.27g
For the creamy cilantro dressing
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or whole milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the fish taco lettuce wraps
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 pound cod or other white fish, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 8 large iceberg lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 4 lime wedges
- For the dressing, combine the cilantro, milk, mayonnaise, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- For the fish tacos, combine paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne, pepper, garlic powder and salt in a large zip-top bag. Shake to combine. Add fish pieces and shake vigorously to coat well.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter or oil over medium heat until melted and hot. Add half of the fish and cook 2 to 4 minutes per side (thinner pieces will cook faster than thick ones). Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with remaining butter or oil and fish.
- Divide lettuce leaves between 4 large plates. Divide fish between lettuce wraps and top with avocado and tomato.
- Serve with dressing and a lime wedge.
For more great low-carb and gluten-free recipes, please follow me at All Day I Dream About Food.
More Mexican recipes
5 Poblano pepper recipes to give your Cinco de Mayo tons of flavor (VIDEO)
Slow cooker pork chimichangas that are melt-in-your-mouth tender
Homemade cheesy refried beans give a twist to a Mexican favorite