Slow cooker pork chimichangas that are melt-in-your-mouth tender
Flaky crust on the outside and tender barbecue pork on the inside. What could be better?
It does get better, because these delicious chimichangas are served with a ranch dipping sauce, and when combined with barbecue sauce, the flavor is amazingly wonderful. These gems are actually quite easy to make too, because the slow cooker does all the work when cooking the pork. Then all that needs to be done is to roll the meat in flour tortillas and lightly fry them.
Just like that, and they're done. Then add a few drizzles of your favorite barbecue sauce, and serve with ranch dressing for a quick and easy dipping sauce. To jazz up the ranch dressing, try adding some finely chopped green onions.
The flour tortillas fry up nicely and taste ever so good with the tender pork and sauces.
These chimichangas can be served as a main dish or as a heavy appetizer. I like to serve them when folks are coming over to my place after work or in the early eve, because they usually come hungry this time of the day. The only downside is that I always need to make extra because they go fast — which is a good thing.
Slow cooker barbecue pork chimichangas recipe
Flaky-on-the-outside chimichangas are filled with tender barbecue pork made in a slow cooker. These delicious chimichangas are topped with a light drizzle of barbecue sauce and served with a ranch dressing dipping sauce.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours 10 minutes | Total time: 4 hours 25 minutes
- 1 boneless pork roast (2 pounds), excess fat removed and discarded
- 2 cups prepared barbecue sauce (for the slow cooker)
- 3 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce, for garnish
- 1-1/2 cups ranch dressing
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- To a slow cooker, add 1/2 of the barbecue sauce and 1/2 of the red pepper flakes.
- Add the roast, and top with the remaining barbecue sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Set the slow cooker to cook for 4 hours.
- Once the meat is done, pull the pork apart, and mix it in with the barbecue sauce that remains in the slow cooker.
- Put 1 tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds to make it soft.
- Add some pork to the middle of the tortilla, toward the top edge closest to you.
- Top the pork with chopped onion.
- Fold over the right and left edges of the tortilla, and roll it into the shape of a burrito.
- Repeat for the remaining tortillas, pork and onion.
- Heat a small skillet on medium heat, and add the canola oil.
- Let the oil heat for just a moment, and then add a chimichanga fold side down to the pan. Depending on the size of the pan, add more chimichangas.
- Watch the bottom sides of the chimichangas very closely, as they will cook fast. When they turn a light golden color, turn them over to another side. If they are cooking too fast, turn down the heat slightly.
- Continue cooking until all sides are a light golden color, and transfer to a rack or plate with a paper towel.
- Serve over a bed of shredded green and purple cabbage.
- Drizzle barbecue sauce on top of the chimichangas.
- Add the green onion to the ranch dressing, and serve it as a dipping sauce with the chimichangas.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food<></3>> page on Facebook.