Make a Stormtrooper cheese ball to celebrate Star Wars Day
Whether you're throwing a party or just geeking out, this cheese ball Stormtrooper is too cool to pass up.
The cheese ball might look like an intimidating Stormtrooper helmet, but you won't need The Force to help you on this one — it takes only 10 to 15 minutes to make.
Start by shredding your white cheddar. I used Kerrygold Dubliner because I love how it has a sweetness to it that's great in cheese balls. I grated the cheese in a food processor, which did the whole block of cheese in about 10 seconds.
Next, you need to chop up your almonds. Go with slivered almonds because they don't have the brown peels and won't add any color to the white cheese ball.
Now dump your grated cheese back into the food processor, along with the nuts you've chopped. Add the cream cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pulse the food processor until everything is combined.
Use a spatula to get your cheese ball mix out of the food processor, and then use your hands to form it into a pear shape with a flat bottom.
Use a pair of scissors to cut a headband, 2 eyes and a weird, mustache-shaped mouth thing out of your sheet of seaweed. For the eyes, I cut out 2 identical rectangles and lay 1 on top of the other to cut out the eye shapes — that way they were exactly the same size.
For the chin piece, cut the ends off of 2 olives for the circles (you want the ends with the "X," not the ends with the hole). Cut another olive into quarters lengthwise, and use 1 vertically and 1 horizontally. The final olive gets cut in half lengthwise and then into 6 slivers for each half. Those are going to be the side vents.
Gently press all the pieces of seaweed and olive into the cheese ball.
Arrange some crackers around the cheese ball (I love the sturdiness of Wheat Thins for dipping and scooping), and let your guests dig in. May the 4th be with you!
Star Wars Stormtrooper cheese ball recipe
This cool cheese ball looks just like a Stormtrooper helmet and makes an easy snack or appetizer for Star Wars Day or a Star Wars-themed birthday party.
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 7 ounces white cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet nori (seaweed)
- 4 jumbo olives
- Mix the cream cheese, grated cheddar, chopped almonds, garlic powder, salt, onion powder and pepper until everything is completely incorporated. You can use your hands, a food processor or a stand mixer.
- Form the cheese mix into a pear shape with a flat bottom.
- Use scissors to cut a headband, eyes and mouth piece out of the nori.
- Cut the ends with the "X" off of 2 olives for the circles.
- Cut another olive into quarters lengthwise, and use 1 vertically and 1 horizontally between the circles.
- Cut the final olive in half lengthwise and then into 6 slivers from each half. Those are going to be the side vents.
- Carefully press the nori and olive pieces into your cheese ball.
- Serve the cheese ball within about an hour, or refrigerate and remove 1 hour before serving.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.