Lavender-infused whole-wheat muffins are a perfect spring bite
Last May, in a hurried attempt to buy all my potted herbs for the season, I mistakenly bought lavender instead of my normal rosemary. If you've ever looked at the plants side by side, you'd understand they look incredibly similar, with lavender just looking like it was dusted with a fine, white powder versus the bright green rosemary leaves.
Being too lazy to return the plant, I figured I might as well plant it and learn a few recipes to utilize it in. Funny enough, it ended up being one of my favorite herbs of the summer. Basil will always hold the No. 1 spot (nothing screams summer to me more than the smell of fresh basil), but lavender gave it a run for its money last year.
After a lot of experimentation, I learned there's nothing quite as good as the smell of freshly baked goods with fresh lavender. These whole-wheat muffins are no exception. With fresh lavender and bright lemon juice, they're light, healthy and a really fun way to use an herb we might not always think of.
Lavender whole-wheat muffins recipe
Fresh lavender gives these healthy muffins a light and bright bite.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
For the muffins
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lavender
- 1-1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
For the sugar topping
- 2 tablespoons raw/cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh lavender
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and grease a muffin tin with baking spray.
- To a food processor, add the sugar and lavender, and process until the lavender is finely chopped and incorporated into the sugar. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the bowl with the sugar, and mix until combined.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, lemon juice and coconut oil.
- Pour the wet mixture into the the dry, and mix until combined.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full.
- In a small bowl, combine the raw sugar and minced lavender, and sprinkle the top of each muffin with the mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the edges and tops of the muffins start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer to a cooling rack.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.