Our local pizza place is located smack-dab in between my house and the gym I’m at religiously five times a week at 5 or 6 p.m. As you might imagine, this leaves us eating pizza (Buffalo chicken Sicilian, to be exact) far too often, pretty much negating any progress I might’ve made the hour prior at the gym.
But hey, I’ve always said the main reason I work out is because I like to eat.
At $16.96 (yes, I know the exact amount it costs) a pie, though, it’s kind of ridiculous to be forking that over one to two times a week, especially considering I cook food for a living. Which is exactly where these pizza-stuffed potatoes come in.
If a twice-baked potato and a pizza had a baby, it’d be this — a baked potato shell loaded with all the flavors of pizza, including the gooey cheese. If pepperoni and peppers aren’t your thing, feel free to add whatever pizza toppings you normally get.
Pizza-stuffed potatoes recipe
Pizza night with a twist! These potatoes are stuffed with all the pizza flavor you love. Precook them in the microwave for an even easier weeknight meal.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Inactive time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup diced green peppers, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup pizza or marinara sauce, plus more for topping
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, plus more for topping
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Clean the potatoes, and poke holes in them all over with a fork or knife. Place them on the baking sheet, and bake for about 45 minutes, until softened. Alternatively you can cook them in the microwave for a quicker option.
- Remove the baked potatoes from the oven, slice in half lengthwise, and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully scoop out the insides of the potatoes, leaving the shell intact. Place the potato flesh into a bowl.
- To the bowl, add the peppers, pepperoni, tomato sauce and cheese, and mash together with the potato flesh.
- Place the potato shells back onto the baking sheet, and fill them with the mixture.
- Top each potato with additional sauce, peppers and cheese.
- Bake for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.