Kids love chicken pot pie, but they’ll be absolutely delighted by these mini pies that are actually made from pudding and candy.
With vanilla pudding “gravy,” mini marshmallow “chicken” and fruit-flavored Tootsie Roll “vegetables,” you’re sure to fool anyone with these mini pies.
Start with prebaked mini tart shells. You can use any variety, but I like these phyllo cups.
The phyllo cups are already baked with nice golden edges, so you just have to pull them out of the freezer. You’ll also need to whip up a batch of instant vanilla pudding and put it in the fridge. You need only a little for this recipe, so plan on leftovers.
To make the “chicken,” snip 6 mini marshmallows into about 6 pieces each.
For “vegetables,” you’ll need a variety of flavored Tootsie Rolls. We used the orange, lemon and lime flavors.
Starting with lemon, cut off little chunks. You should be able to get about 16 from each roll.
Roll a chunk between your hands, and pinch 1 end to form a corn kernel shape.
Do the same with the green Tootsie Rolls, but just roll them into balls.
Press and stretch the orange Tootsie Rolls into longer logs.
Cut the logs in half lengthwise.
Cut each strip into 8 pieces. These are your “carrots.”
Don’t those look just like mixed veggies?
Place your tart shells on a tray or a baking sheet, which makes a cute presentation. Press the remaining 12 marshmallows flat, and place 1 into each tart shell. This will help fill up the space.
Spoon some pudding into the tart shell, not quite to the top.
Now place your “chicken” and “vegetables” into the pudding. The marshmallow chicken pieces look better if they’re coated in the pudding so they’re not quite so white.
Keep refrigerated if you’re not serving right away. They’ll last a day in the fridge before the tart shells start to get soggy.
Dessert “chicken” pot pies
These little pot pies are actually made from pudding and candy! If you have trouble cutting and rolling the Tootsie Rolls, you can microwave each one for about 10 seconds before you work on it.
Total time: 30
- 1 box Jell-O instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
- 18 mini marshmallows
- 4 lemon Tootsie Rolls
- 4 lime Tootsie Rolls
- 4 orange Tootsie Rolls
- 12 mini phyllo tart shells
- Beat the pudding mix and milk with a whisk for 2 minutes, and then refrigerate.
- Use scissors to cut 6 of the mini marshmallows into 6 pieces each.
- Cut the lemon and lime Tootsie Rolls into 16 pieces each.
- Roll the green ones into balls for peas, and then do the same with the yellow, but pinch 1 end to shape them like corn kernels.
- Cut the orange Tootsie Rolls into 16 pieces each, and leave them as is.
- Press the remaining 12 marshmallows somewhat flat, and place them in the centers of your tart shells.
- Spoon some pudding into each tart shell, almost to the top.
- Divide the cut-up marshmallow pieces among the tart shells, making sure they are coated in the pudding to look more like chicken.
- Divide the vegetables among the tart shells.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.