Enjoy a flaky ham and cheese slab pie for spring brunch
This crispy ham and cheese slab pie is light enough for brunch but savory enough to leave you totally satisfied. I made mine for Easter brunch and served it with fresh fruit and juice. Simple, but totally elegant. For a more filling brunch, try pairing it with scrambled eggs.
The best thing about this dish is that it’s super easy to prepare. All you have to do is assemble everything, so you can actually prep it the night before and then just pop it into the oven right before your guests arrive. That ensures it will be fresh and perfectly crisp.
Ham and cheese slab pie recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 3 ounces thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 3 green onions, sliced (use green only)
- 3 ounces thinly sliced Havarti cheese or Gruyere
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the cream cheese and mustard.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry sheet into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Transfer sheet to the prepared baking sheet; spread the cream cheese mixture lengthwise on half of the rectangle, leaving 1/2-inch border around outside edges.
- Add individual layers of ham, onion and cheese over cream cheese layer, leaving a 1/2-inch border around outside edges.
- Whisk together the egg and water.
- Brush some of the egg mixture on the uncovered edges of the pastry.
- Fold uncovered portion of the pastry rectangle up and over filling.
- Use a fork to seal edges together.
- Brush tops with egg mixture.
- Cut decorative slits in top of pastry for steam to escape.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until pastry is golden on the top and bottom.
- Slide pie and parchment paper onto wire rack; cool slightly.
Visit Lady Behind The Curtain for more brunch recipes.