How to make a carrot garden out of Rice Krispies
Slice into this all-edible garden made from cereal treats, and find a fun surprise inside — carrots "growing," complete with dirt and grass too.
After a long and cold winter, spring seems to finally be here, and everything is starting to grow. Use Rice Krispies to make your own edible garden for a unique dessert this time of year.
Chocolate marshmallow Rice Krispies Treats are used to make the "ground," and regular marshmallow Rice Krispies Treats (tinted orange) are used to make the "carrots" growing in the garden. Edible grass is another one of my favorites to use this time of year in desserts, and it makes perfect grass and/or stems for the carrots.
Rice Krispies Treats garden boxes recipe
You can also forgo making the carrots in the ground and instead shape the Rice Krispies Treat mixture into carrot shapes, then attach the edible grass to the tops as stems with green candy melts/melting wafers.
Yields 1 loaf (8-10 slices)
Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 6 cups plain Rice Krispies cereal
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 2 bags mini marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Orange food gel
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Edible grass (can be found in craft/chain drugstores or online)
- 1 cup crushed chocolate graham crackers or chocolate wafer cookies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Loaf pan
- For the chocolate Rice Krispies Treat mix: In a large pan on the stove, melt 3 tablespoons of butter, and add 1 bag of marshmallows. Once just melted, add 6 cups of Cocoa Krispies. Mix well.
- For the orange Rice Krispies Treat mix: Follow step 1, but add 3 to 5 drops of orange food gel/color to the melted butter and marshmallow mix. Add 6 cups of Rice Krispies. Mix well.
- Spray the loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, and fill with the Cocoa Krispies Treat mixture (pack it down).
- Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray, and shape the orange Rice Krispies Treat mixture into 2 long carrot shapes (like tapered cylinders) that run the length of the loaf pan. See picture above. The shape should resemble a carrot when sliced.
- Remove the chocolate cereal treat loaf from the pan. Using a serrated knife, make 2 cuts lengthwise along the top of the loaf. Use the knife to open these cut marks, and remove some of the chocolate Rice Krispies inside.
- Insert the 2 carrot-shaped cylinders into these slots, removing more chocolate cereal as needed to get them to fit inside.
- Add any chocolate Rice Krispies Treats you removed from the loaf to cover the top of the orange Krispies Treats.
- Once the loaf is back together, wrap the entire loaf in plastic wrap, and squeeze all sides, including the top and bottom, to get the carrots well placed inside the loaf. Squeezing helps remove any air pockets.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips. Spread on top of the loaf.
- Add pieces of the edible grass on top of the melted chocolate. Let the chocolate harden.
- Spread crushed chocolate crackers onto a plate, and add your carrot garden on top.
- Slice, and see your carrots growing inside.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food<></3>> page on Facebook.