Homemade rice milk with healthy fruit juice cubes kids will love
Kids love colors and different fruit juices. Use mango and pink guava juice to make these bright yellow and pink ice cubes to add to milk.
You can also get creative with colors and flavors and use other kinds of fruit juices your kids love — blueberry, raspberry, kiwi or pineapple — to combine in one glass.
And instead of dairy milk, get them to try something lighter, like homemade rice milk. It's much cheaper and healthier to make at home than buying it. Of course, if you don't have that much time, just grab a bottle of rice milk in the supermarket, and mix it up with fruit juice ice cubes. The kids can beat the heat with healthy and fun options.
Rice milk with mango and pink guava ice cubes recipe
Making your own rice milk is not only very healthy but easy too. To ensure the kids love it, play with colors by using mango and pink guava juice or even a variety of different colored natural fruit drinks for making ice cubes.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 18 minutes | Inactive time: 4 hours or more | Total time: 4 hours 38 minutes
- 1 cup mango juice
- 1 cup pink guava juice
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 vanilla pod, sliced in the middle, seeds removed with the tip of a knife and reserved (or vanilla extract)
- Sweetener, like honey or sugar
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Pour the mango and pink guava juice into separate ice cube trays. Freeze until hard, about 4 hours, more or less, depending on the strength of your freezer.
- In a saucepan, combine the rice, water and the vanilla pod and seeds (or vanilla extract), and then over high heat, bring to a boil. After it boils, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 18 minutes or until the rice is soft. It should be very creamy. Let it cool.
- Transfer the rice to the blender, and blend until smooth.
- Using a cheese cloth or a fine mesh strainer, strain the rice.
- Sweeten the rice milk as desired.
- Keep the rice milk in a covered container, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Into drinking glasses, distribute the mango and pink guava ice cubes, torn basil and mint leaves (if using), and then pour the rice milk into each glass.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.