A healthy cake for your baby’s first birthday (it’s fun to smash, too)
Save the beautiful sugary cake for the big kids, aka adults, and make a separate one for your little birthday baby to smash into. This recipe is a tried-and-true cake that you can feel good about giving to your baby. It's filled with fruit and whole wheat flour, then topped with unsweetened homemade whipped cream. Even if you aren't a great baker, there is no need to be scared to make this recipe. You and your baby will be so happy you did!
Baby's first smash cake recipe
Yield: 2 (6-inch) round cakes
- 3 large (or 4 small) ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup applesauce with no sugar added
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Whipped cream "frosting" ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray the cake pans with cooking spray, or you can butter and flour it, whatever you find easier.
- Peel the bananas and place in a bowl.
- Use a fork to smash the bananas until smooth, with no large pieces remaining.
- Using a whisk, mix in the applesauce, egg and vanilla until smooth and well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly between the two cake pans.
- Place in the oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until the middle is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely
- Make the whipped cream "frosting" by simply placing the cold whipping cream in a bowl and whisking with a hand mixer until you reach soft peaks and the cream is thick enough to spread. You can also do this using your stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Once the cake is cooled, place one of the cakes on a plate and top with a small amount of whipped cream. Place the other cake on top of it (the whipped cream works a bit like glue to keep the layers together).
- Pour the whipped cream over the two layers and use a knife or spatula to evenly spread the whipped cream around… this is very easy to do.
- You can decorate it as much as you like! I simply put a large number 1 candle on the top.
I baked and frosted the cake the day before the party, and I kept it in the refrigerator until about five minutes before we wanted to give it to him.
Take lots of pictures!