Gluten-free Friday: Lighter chicken Alfredo with zucchini ribbon fettuccine
Have you tried making zucchini ribbons? It's a fun way to switch up your pasta dishes. Not only do you get flavor and nutrition from these ribbons, but they make a fun presentation too.
Enjoy a delicious and creamy Alfredo sauce without breaking the nutritional bank. Make no mistake — it's still indulgent, but not as, ahem, "indulgent" as some traditional recipes.
This gluten-free dish is lower in carbs too, since I left out the pasta and replaced it with zucchini ribbons. That's right. A simple vegetable peeler transforms zucchini into "noodles" that get wrapped up in this creamy sauce.
Lighter chicken Alfredo with zucchini ribbon fettuccine recipe
This creamy sauce is tasty and so easy to make. Once you make it, you'll plan to serve it again and again. Toss in a handful of sliced mushrooms for some added texture and flavor.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (pounded thin if they're thick cuts)
- Salt and ground black pepper, for seasoning the chicken
- 4 small zucchini, peeled and ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- To a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Season the chicken on both sides with a pinch of salt and ground black pepper.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken to the skillet so they're not touching.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 12 minutes, flipping several times, or until the chicken is done and no longer pink in the thickest part. Remove from the heat, and keep warm. After a few minutes, cut the chicken into strips.
- While the chicken is cooking, use a vegetable peeler along the length of the zucchini to make thin "ribbons."
- To a separate skillet over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the cream cheese, and reduce the heat to low. Use a wooden spoon to help soften and break up the cream cheese.
- Add the milk and Parmesan cheese, and mix to combine. The sauce should become thick and creamy.
- Remove the skillet with the sauce from the burner. Add the strips of chicken, and toss to combine. Add the zucchini ribbons, and gently toss.
- Serve warm, garnished with the parsley and some ground black pepper.