Grilled mango-jalapeño turkey burgers, low-carb style
It's getting warmer out, and that means many of us will be lighting up the grill and making fantastic grilled recipes. Many of us favor a juicy grilled burger, but let's face it — just because it's grilled doesn't make it healthy.
In this recipe, I used extra-lean ground turkey and transformed it into a healthy tropical burger by adding fresh ingredients like spicy red jalapeños, diced mango, cilantro, garlic and onion. Plus, they're served low-carb style in fresh lettuce leaves.
If you are worried about these burgers turning out dry, don't be! A trick I learned is to add in a little bit of olive oil to the ingredients. It adds moisture to the extra-lean meat and helps give it that juiciness we love so much.
Grilled mango-jalapeño turkey burgers recipe
Extra-lean ground turkey is combined with red jalapeño peppers, fresh diced mango, cilantro and lots of garlic for this healthy yet tropical low-carb burger.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
For the burgers
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 1-2 fresh red jalapeño peppers (depending on desired heat)
- 1/2 cup fresh diced mango
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 head fresh romaine lettuce
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Pickles, for topping
- Condiments, such as ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the burgers.
- Mix well, and form into patties of desired size.
- Preheat the grill pan or outside grill to medium heat, and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the burgers on the grill pan (or grill), and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until the insides are no longer pink and the juices run clear.
- To assemble the burgers, arrange several romaine leaves on each plate.
- Place 1 turkey burger on top of the romaine leaves, and finish with sliced red onions, tomatoes, pickles and any other toppings you may desire. Serve warm.
- Store any leftover burgers for several days chilled in an airtight container.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.