One-Pot Wonder: Skillet biscuits with bacon are an easy breakfast treat
These meaty breakfast skillet biscuits with good old-fashioned molasses are made the old-fashioned way in an iron skillet and topped with sugar for good measure.
Biscuits made in an iron skillet are so easy to make and taste ever so good. The skillet not only gives the biscuits a rustic charm but cooks them quickly and evenly. These biscuits are made with bits of cooked bacon and molasses. The molasses gives the biscuits a slightly darker color, which is all the more rustic, and tastes great when topped with sugar.
Oh, and there's the melted butter on top that also tastes great.
So give these gems a try for breakfast, and serve them hot right out of the skillet.
Molasses and bacon skillet biscuits recipe
These homemade skillet biscuits with a twist are made with bacon and molasses and topped with sugar.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses (for the biscuit dough)
- 2 tablespoons real bacon bits (for the biscuit dough)
- 1/3 cup butter (chilled right out of the refrigerator, cut into small cubes)
- 1 teaspoon flour (for the cutting board when rolling the dough)
- 2 teaspoons butter (for greasing the skillet)
- 2 teaspoons milk (for the topping)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar (for the topping)
- 1 teaspoon molasses (for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon real bacon bits (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- To a medium-size bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, milk, molasses and bacon.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a fork, and coarsely mix all the ingredients.
- Knead the dough just enough so that all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Sprinkle flour onto a cutting board. Roll the dough on the cutting board so that it's about 1 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit or large cookie cutter, cut out 4 biscuits. Reroll the dough to cut the remaining 2 biscuits.
- Grease a large iron skillet with butter. Lay the biscuits in the skillet tightly, side by side.
- Using a spoon, add milk on top of each biscuit, and spread it around the top. Sprinkle the sugar evenly on top of each biscuit.
- Bake until the tops of the biscuits turn a golden color (about 14 or 15 minutes).
- Lightly drizzle molasses on top of the biscuits.
- Top with bacon, and serve while warm with butter.