Y’all, Chipotle is the bomb, and we can eat us some sofritas all day long — and we’re not the only ones. Sometimes we show up at our local franchise only to find the line snakes out the door and into the parking lot. While it’s true that a big ol’ sofritas bowl is worth the wait, sometimes we just can’t deal, which is why it’s so clutch that we can whip up a homemade version of Chipotle’s vegan protein option right in our own kitchen.
This copycat sofritas burrito bowl only takes a few ingredients to make. It’s a super-easy — but very flavorful — way to make a delicious meat-free dinner.
I like to use firm or extra-firm tofu in this dish, as it crumbles really nicely. To roast the poblanos, I just pop them into the oven at 400 degrees F until they start to blacken. This gives this dish so much flavor. I also tend to add lots of spice to my dishes since I like the heat. If you don’t want your recipe to turn out super spicy, then just add a small amount of the spices, and adjust according to your taste.
While I opted to serve these “bowl” style, you can use Sofritas to make them into actual burritos or even serve them up with fluffy scrambled eggs.
Copycat Chipotle Sofritas recipe
Adapted from Pinch of Yum
This meat-free dish is made Mexican by using tofu simmered in a spicy poblano-chipotle sauce and is served over rice with veggies and fresh toppings.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
For the Sofritas
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted
- 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce left over from the chipotle peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup fresh or store-bought salsa
- 1 tablespoon agave
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or canola oil
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh or canned corn
For the burrito bowls
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion (optional)
- Homemade or fresh salsa
- Sour cream and fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- To a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients for the Sofritas except for the oil, tofu and corn. Blend on high until the mixture is smooth, and then set it aside.
- Heat a large, nonstick pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of avocado or canola oil to the pan, then add in the crumbled tofu and the corn.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the tofu begins to brown.
- Once the tofu has browned, add the spicy sauce, and cover the pan. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, and then remove it from the heat.
- To assemble the burrito bowls, divide the cooked rice among 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with the Sofritas mixture, and then add desired toppings, such as diced tomatoes, red onions and salsa.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges, and serve warm
Originally published March 2015. Updated August 2017.