This risotto dish is classic in execution, but it might be a little different than what you’re used to. That’s right — hold the rice for this version. The carrot becomes the rice in this delicious, healthy dish.
This carrot “risotto” will definitely brighten things up at your table, both in color and flavor. Where’s the rice, you might ask? Well, for this beautiful dish, I peeled, then pulsed carrots into small pieces (about the size of rice), and used it as the base.
Use veggies in place of rice as a great option for lower-carb, flavorful and healthy meals. It’s also a great way to add more veggies to your life. This is an easy-to-make dish that doesn’t include a long list of ingredients. Toss in crunchy toasted walnuts and sharp Gorgonzola cheese for a delightful dish.
Carrot “risotto” with Gorgonzola and toasted walnuts recipe
Recipe adapted from Inspiralized
In less than 30 minutes, you can have this amazing dish on the table. Its vibrant color is only part of what makes this so great. It’s a healthy dish that can be served alongside a green salad or a serving of fish for a delightful meal.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 6 large carrots, skins peeled and ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Peel the outer skins from the carrots, and trim the ends. Use a spiral slicer or julienne peeler to make strands from the carrot. Add them to a food processor, and pulse several times until small, like the size of rice. Transfer to a bowl.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the carrot pieces to the skillet, increase the heat to medium-high, and add 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth. Season with the salt, pepper and thyme, and stir to combine. Stir occasionally.
- When the broth has evaporated, add the remaining broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the broth evaporates.
- Add the walnuts to the mixture, and mix to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with the Gorgonzola. Serve warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.