If you are like me and love a good grilled cheese, then this is one recipe you don’t want to pass up.
As I make my rounds in the grocery store, I always end up in the bakery. Not because I want to dive into the doughnut case, but because I love freshly baked loaves of bread. Picking up a loaf of fresh bread is a godsend at times, since it can be used in so many different ways and recipes.
This recipe uses a loaf of French (or Italian) bread, which is halved and generously smeared with a homemade butter mixture loaded with sea salt, crushed garlic and fresh parsley. Top the butter with shredded cheeses, and once baked, sandwich the two halves together, cut into slices, and serve with warm, zesty marinara sauce for the ultimate garlic bread grilled cheese.
This idea is perfect for a simple lunch for your kids or even as a finger food for entertaining. The only bad part about this is that it never lasts long, so you might want to consider making a second loaf.
Toasted 3-cheese garlic bread sandwiches with zesty marinara dipping sauce recipe
Fresh French bread is filled with a garlicky butter mixture and topped with three types of cheese. Baked and sliced, these little sandwiches are perfect for dipping in marinara sauce.
Prep time: 25 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
For the garlic bread sandwich
- 1 loaf fresh French- or Italian-style bakery bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (omit if you don’t want spiciness)
- 1 small handful fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
For the zesty marinara dipping sauce
- 1-1/2 cups favorite jarred marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a large cutting board, slice the entire loaf of fresh bread in half.
- In a food processor, combine the butter, roasted garlic, seasonings and parsley, adding the desired amount of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Blend on high until the butter mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Using a spatula, spread the butter mixture generously over both halves of the bread.
- To a bowl, add the 3 cheeses, and toss lightly to mix. Top both pieces of bread with the cheeses, and bake uncovered for 13 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden. While the bread is baking, add all the ingredients for the zesty marinara to a bowl, and mix well.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and sandwich both halves together. Slice into pieces, and serve warm with the marinara sauce.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.