Waffled cupcake stacks are a unique way to serve your favorite dessert
Smash up plain cupcakes in your waffle maker for a new cupcake dessert. The result is a flattened cake with waffle marks you can layer between dollops of whipped cream and sprinkles. A cherry on top finishes your waffled cupcake stacks.
I've made a gagillion batches of cupcakes over the years. If you're like me, you might get a bit tired of making the same old cupcakes over and over again. These "waffled" cupcakes should help mix things up a little for you.
All you need are baked cupcakes, a waffle iron and your favorite toppings, like whipped cream, sprinkles and maraschino cherries.
Plus, smashing cupcakes flat in a waffle maker is pretty darn therapeutic!
Layer them up, and you have a fun twist on your favorite cupcakes.
Waffled cupcake stacks recipe
You can use your favorite cupcake recipe, or to save time, start with a boxed mix. To really save time, you can even buy store-bought cupcakes, then stack away for a fun dessert.
Yields 24 cupcakes or 8-12 stacks
Prep time: 1 hour | Bake time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 box favorite cake mix (this recipe used a white cake mix)
- Food gels (this recipe used red, orange and yellow to tint cupcakes)
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries
- Mix up the cake batter per the directions on the box. Divide the batter into thirds in separate bowls. Tint each bowl with your selected food gels. (Optional: You can always use the same color or forgo adding any food gel color.)
- Bake the cupcakes per the directions on the box.
- Preheat a waffle iron, and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add a warm cupcake to the waffle iron, and press for 2 minutes. If you use store-bought cupcakes, then microwave the cupcakes for 5 seconds to warm them slightly before adding them to the waffle maker. You want your cupcakes to have waffle marks but not be overly browned. Remove from the waffle iron, and let cool. Continue until all cupcakes are "waffled."
- Add 1 waffled cupcake to an individual serving dish.
- Add a dollop of Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- Alternate with waffle cupcake and Cool Whip or whipped cream until you have 2 or 3 waffled cupcake layers.
- Add a final dollop of Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- Add sprinkles.
- Add a maraschino cherry on top.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate. Allow to come to room temperature for serving.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.