Make drunken beans with bacon in just 30 minutes
Not everyone is crazy about beans. Even in my own house we are divided. But I found out that it always depends on how they are cooked, because if I am able to make the dish interesting with tasty ingredients, then I get everyone's attention.
One of the successful bean dishes I've made at home is this one: my version of the Mexican frijoles borrachos. The beans are cooked with bacon and dark beer. Need I say more?
It is a very simple recipe that takes just 30 minutes to make — if you use the canned beans, of course. If you don't have the time to soak the beans overnight and boil them for hours, then don't worry about using the canned version, because they are still nutritious and rich in protein.
Drunken beans (frijoles borrachos) recipe
In just 30 minutes, you can have these tasty and delicious beans cooked with beer and bacon.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or any oil of your choice)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans (or similar beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups dark beer
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt (optional)
- In a dry saucepan over medium heat, toast the bacon, and when it is cooked through and crunchy, transfer it to a plate. Leave about a tablespoon of the fat in the pan, and add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and onion, and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes and beer, and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Sprinkle in the pepper, oregano and cilantro, and then turn off the heat. Taste to see if salt is needed.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food<></3>> page on Facebook.